How much time and how many lights do you think it took to decorate her?
Rolled out for numerous Holiday Special runs in 2018, unfortunately, there will be no excursions this year….
Back in her heyday, SP #4449 runs included the coast route along the Pacific Ocean from Los Angeles to San Francisco and on to Portland, Oregon. Called the Southern Pacific “Daylight“, she could make this 470 mile run totally during daylight hours due to her ability to go 100 mph!
- Rail Line: Southern Pacific
- Train Name: SP steam engine 4449 Northern Type
- Power type: 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive GS-4
- Builder: Lima Locomotive Works
- Maximum speed: 100 MPH
- Locomotive and tender weight: 870,000 lbs
- Nickname: The Coast Daylight – Los Angeles to San Francisco and Portland
Let us know if you have ever had the chance to see SP 4449 on one her Christmas excursion runs! We would love to hear about your experience!
Source: Train Fanatics